With just 3 weeks until the big day we thought we’d share this amazing Christmas cake recipe by Neff.
Cooking Method: Combination microwave cooking or oven cook
Time: Cook at 180 Watts /140C for 40-45 minutes. Or top and bottom heat 140C for 2.5-3 hours
2 tbsp Brandy
Zest and juice of ½ a lemon.
85g glace cherries halved
55g mixed peel
170g dark soft brown sugar
200g plain flour*
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
55g chopped almonds* (optional)
2 tbsp Brandy to mature flavour
1. Place fruit, brandy and lemon juice in a large bowl, cover with cling film then soak for at least 24 hours.
2. Grease and line a 20cm (8”) dark cake tin or Pyrex soufflé dish.
3. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy, then add eggs.
4. Mix in half the fruit, then the flour and remaining fruit, including any liquid from soaking.
5. If oven cooking pre-heat oven on top and bottom heat at 140C.
6. Place into lined tin and smooth top surface. (For a non-crusty top brush with a little water.)
7. For oven cooking place cake into the pre-heated oven and bake for 2.5 – 3 hours, until a skewer comes out clean.
8. If using Combination Microwave cooking place on wire shelf position 2 and cook for 40mins at 180Watts and Hot air 140C ( no need to preheat ). Test the cake is cooked with a skewer, an extra 5 minutes may be added if any stickiness inside. Cake should look slightly moist on surface to allow for standing time.
9. Allow to cool, remove from tin and pierce with skewer, add extra brandy and wrap in foil for 1-2 weeks before icing for a richer flavour.